Skip to main content
Topic: Updated to v11.0.4 and maps no longer work (Read 378 times) previous topic - next topic

Updated to v11.0.4 and maps no longer work

Just upgraded to v11.0.4 of the app.  Upon trying to open the map, either Live or GPX list, the app closes.  I've cleared the app cache and data but the problem remains.  Any thoughts on how I can get the map open?

Re: Updated to v11.0.4 and maps no longer work

Reply #1
It's a bug in version 11.0.4 related to buggy Mapsforge software that Geooh uses for offline maps. An updated version 11.0.5 is coming out today as soon as Google releases it to correct the issue (which testing didn't uncover... only affected some phones). Be patient.

Reply #2
Thanks.  I just saw your update on Facebook.  :))

Reply #3
Just loaded version 11.0.6 and can confirm that the issue is fixed. Thanks!

Reply #4
Unfortunately, I see only a slight improvement.
In version 10.X, as far as I remember, the map was loading very quickly (this was not instant, but acceptable).
In version 11.0.4-11.0.5, the offline map was loading for about 24-26 seconds (nightmare!).
In version 11.0.6, the offline map loads in about 12-13 seconds.

Waiting 12 seconds is really sad.

I am using this file: https://osm.paws.cz/poland_gccz.map.zip
Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro, Android 10, 6/128GB.

Can I send any data that will help you track/debug the problem?

Reply #5
Was this the first time using a new theme?

To get around Mapsforge failure to support Android's storage access framework that v11 implemented, Geooh has to move theme files around on the first use of them. After that the map load is just as fast as using Google and similar to other apps using the same maps forge maps.

Try removing the theme files and see what the load time is just for the offline maps and report back here.

Reply #6
Yes! Thank you!
I deleted all themes and now the map appears in a second!

Reply #7
Thought it might. As I said to get themes to work with Google pushing apps towards the new storage framework Geooh has to move theme files around to place them in an old storage location so that Mapsforge software can read them. Oddly, Mapsforge supports the map files in the new framework, but not themes yet. So the first time the map is loaded Geooh will move them and depending on the number of items in the theme it could take awhile. But after that Geooh knows to look for the moved files which won't take as long as the first time.

Previous versions of Geooh weren't properly handling themes and now v11 does. So some of the new loading delay (compared to previous versions) is now due to how Mapsforge software handles themes using the Google map view component instead of Mapsforge's map view component like other apps do... which is why comparing is apples to oranges.

If when using themes after the first time loading the map still is too slow for you, either not use themes or live with it or use the other apps. Geooh is doing its best to support older Mapsforge software within the more modern Android map view and storage framework.

Reply #8
It's great now. Themes also work. The first time they did not work properly (part of the map was from the theme, and some was not), but after removing the cache the map had the correct theme and everything looks beautiful.