Skip to main content
Topic: Themes and choices for offline maps (Read 233 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Themes and choices for offline maps

Reply #45
On the next release I'm having to remove support for the SD card as it's causing the problem... all apps are eventually going to go this way... c:geo is already trying to figure it out... Geooh is just ahead of everyone else. Once Mapsforge update's their software I may be able to add it back, but I seriously doubt it. Google is going to great efforts to discourage SD cards and change how users interact with the file system due to security concerns. None of the Android developers like it and I certainly have struggled trying to implement the new ways which are more complicated than before... I'm not happy with Google.

It didn't work before... the themes weren't selectable or editable until I went down this path to add better support for themes. I'm sorry, but I've spent days trying to get SD card support and I've hit a wall with it and how Mapsforge currently works. The other geocaching apps will require files off the SD card eventually too unless Google loosens things and provides better solutions for the developers.

To confirm, put a small map and theme on internal storage and notice Geooh will work. I've got some bug fixes to make the directory changes more responsive, but not SD card support.

Reply #46
Now I put some maps and themes to internal memory for a test.

There everything works well as it should.

On SD card it is the problem, that the themes are not shown any more. In the version before the themes worked on SD Card.

You see that on the screenshots I posted before.

I don't want to use internal space due to the lower space. And it worked before and also with other apps.

Thanks for confirming that.

And as I've said, the other apps will also have to deal with the SD card issues if they want to support Android 11 (which they will be required to do so by Google). When Mapsforge updates their software, they may be able to read themes from the SD card with the newer techniques. Until then, Geooh will only be able to support multiple themes on internal storage.

And remember... previously I was copying theme files to an internal area... so they weren't actually on the SD card. It was when we tried to have Geooh access ALL the themes you had that things slowed down considerably during the copy. Either I drop SD card support, keep number of themes to a minimum, or let users get frustrated with the copy time. There are no good solutions until Mapsforge changes and/or Google does.

Reply #47
Did you read this post of me?

I think I have found the reason, why it was so slow.

In my map folder, I had the mapsforge maps from Freizeitkarte and from OpenAndroMaps. Both in same folder
I now tried it only with the mapfiles from freizeitkarte. And now it seems to be faster.

But still the elevate theme dont work on my side.

It worked fast on SD card, when I only put the Mapsforge Maps from Freizeitkarte on it with the themes.

The problem was the 2 different map files. This slowed it down.

My phone will never get Android 11. It will stay in Android 10.

Map Files to small internal memory is not what I want and I cannot use GeoohGo with this.

Why don't you make it with the version, that worked?

Locus, C:geo and Cachebox work well with offline Maps on SD. And GeoohGo too, like we have seen.

You are just limited on one type of maps, not 2 or 3 deferent in this case.

Maps in internal memory is not usable for me. Especially cause I already use them on SD.

Think about it. It was already working ...

Reply #48
We are going in circles....

The other apps can use the SD card because they are not using the latest Android storage access framework (SAF) like Geooh does. They all will migrate eventually and will hit the same problem until Mapsforge updates their software to SAF. This has nothing to do with your Android 10... the apps will be forced by Google to go to SAF... on ALL devices even running 10.

Again, it wasn't "working" with multiple themes if the number of them was high. I tested with five themes in the folder and experienced the same delay while copying theme files from the SD card to internal storage. I never realized someone would want several themes at one time until you revealed that to me. Like you, someone else will complain about the slowness if they have several themes in the folder.

All of this is temporary until Mapsforge updates their software... they have to eventually... they've started it, but I don't know when it will be complete. Once their update completes, I can use it directly instead of the hacking around I'm doing now.

Again... a warning... you may have to move all your maps off the SD card if required by Google and apps supporting SAF. I don't know what their final restrictions will be... developers don't like SAF (I don't) so Google may try to improve it, but I doubt it because they have been trying to get rid of SD cards for some time.

Again... Locus, c:geo, Cachebox, and GCDroid have NOT transitioned to SAF yet. I know c:geo is trying to figure out how to migrate, but they will encounter the same problems I have.

I have spent all day today and yesterday trying to get SAF to work with the SD card and Mapsforge... with no luck.

If I go back to the old way, then there will be complaints about delays during the copying of themes to internal storage for SAF. You showed me that was a poor design. The new way works although it uses internal storage. But most new phones no longer have SD cards. I have no good solution to satisfy everyone... until other software is updated.

Reply #49
It would be nice if you could restore the functionality of the SD card as in the last version of the app. Because, as I already wrote, everything worked wonderfully when using a card. The theme could also be easily selected and adapted.

What you have changed in the current version, you should know yourself and simply undo it. Then my problems would be solved and I could use GeoohGo as I would like.

I primarily use the Freizeitkarte Maps and there are 3 themes. So it worked wonderfully and should work again as it was intended.

I cannot understand that there will be no more smartphones with SD cards in the future. Because the users don't want that. And I think this is not so. Your info seems to be wrong.

Samsung, the largest manufacturer of Android smartphones, has an SD card inside each of its models. With every new model, 2 SIM cards and 1 SD card can now be used. The size of the SD card is constantly being adapted and expanded. And that's because the users want it. That's why everything should work with it.

Personally, I would never buy a device without an SD card. The advantages of the SD card simply outweigh it. Because the smartphone could break and then you can no longer access important data in the internal memory. If they are on SD, like mine, then they can be saved more easily.

Could write down more advantages, but that would be over the topic.

In addition, you can easily accommodate large amounts of data there, such as maps and other things.

Should GeoohGo only be able to use data in internal storage in the future. Then it will bypass the trend because users want SD cards.

The whole time you could use the SD cards and it doesn't make sense to me why not anymore, although it is actually possible. You could see that in the last version, which worked wonderfully and quickly after my adaptation to only use one type of card.

Otherwise I will probably no longer be able to use GeoohGo because I need the offline maps and these on an SD card. For me there is no alternative where I save the maps. I need the limited internal memory for other data.

Reply #50
I'm looking into how to reintroduce partial copying so get what you need and minimize delays that you experienced before.

I never indicated SD cards are going away... I said Google is introducing more file security via SAF and that use of SD cards will be more difficult (and possibly not available) to how apps used the card before. My info is not wrong... this is what all Android developers are facing. Every geocaching app and software library (c:geo, Locus, Mapsforge) are all currently trying to figure it out... Geooh is just ahead of them.

Reply #51
You'll be pleased to know I reworked much of the code over the last couple of days to allow SD card usage. The themes will again be copied to internal storage, but I tried to reduce the time taken for the process... although a large number of themes can still pose a delay. After further testing I'll release a new version with the changes.

I also added a better way to select the theme/options without having to go into settings. See the attached video for a demo of it. Thanks for the patience while I get all this figured out.

Reply #52
Looks and sounds good.  Will test it, when it is out.

Reply #53
Did you get a chance to test? Curious if the latest release is working with the SD card.

Reply #54
Unfortunately, it no longer works with the latest version. It worked with the previous one.

Every time I go to the settings on alternative maps, a red dot is displayed in front of the offline map folder. I then have to click to grant access to the directory.

It seems that GeoohGo forgets the setting every time. I also don't see a selection for the theme.

In the map view, I then see a map without a theme. If I go to Options, Map, then nothing happens. There is no reaction.

It worked with the previous version. Well not anymore.

My cards with themes are still on the SD card. But I had to create a separate directory for GeoohGo, because I have several map types in the main directory and GeoohGo can't handle that.

With the other apps, I can manually select the card types in the directory as needed.

At GeoohGo I limited myself to the Freizeitkarte with a corresponding theme.

Reply #55
The red dot is just an indicator that there must be a value in the setting before saving. If you don't save, the value isn't saved either. Geooh isn't forgetting.

Android is handling the storage permission security... the new way all apps will have to eventually with the storage access framework SAF.

As discussed before, due to a Mapsforge problem using SAF Geooh has to copy the themes to another internal area before Mapsforge can access them. If you don't see theme options, then the copy didn't happen. Selecting the maps directory triggers Geooh to do the copy.

Try choosing the maps directory again. Tell me if the copy occurs (a progress window shows this). Save settings!

Try a maps directory on internal storage (not SD card) to see if that works.

You said the previous version didn't work so I'm confused. I cannot replicate what you are describing in my testing.

Mapsforge is currently working on an update to support themes via SAF. When done I'll implement the new version which should eliminate the copy and other issues related to the new Android storage security.

Reply #56
I always saved it, but it wont work like i wrote.

It worked in the version, that I tested on 06.01.2021. But with the actuell version it dont.

In the other apps I have no problem at all with maps and themes on sd. It simply works ...

Reply #57
In the other apps I have no problem at all with maps and themes on sd. It simply works ...

One more time... the other apps are not supporting SAF... but Google will force them. It's mapsforge that's the holdup here since it's their software rendering the map tiles and themes, not Geooh.

Reply #58
In the meantime I use the Google translator because my English is too bad for me to get into technical problems. I hope the translation is sufficient.

The fact is, everything worked fine with GeoohGo before the current changes. The cards and themes all worked out wonderfully. This is currently no longer the case.

Only you can tell what has changed. Why that was changed when it worked too.

To me the approach and the will sounded good. We saw that it is possible.

For me the maps are not usable as they are currently made. Putting everything in the internal memory is not a solution for me, because then I can throw my smartphone away because I can no longer use it because the internal memory will then overflow.

There is enough space on the SD card.

And the statement that Google or Mapsforge no longer supports this is nonsensical to me, because I've seen that it also works with GeoohGo.

I don't care what you do with it now. Because GeoohGo is no longer useful for me. And that's why I don't intend to interfere senselessly in the development and continue testing, if everything is changed again after all, if it's actually ok. And then, unfortunately, the change is deterioration.

Sorry I don't understand ...

And whether something SAF, whatever that is supported or not, is of no interest to me as a user. I want to go geocaching with the app and not worry about the technology behind it. It just has to work.

I see with other apps what I ask is possible and here too, but somehow it doesn't work.

For my part, GeoohGo seems to have slowly become history, since it cannot be used by me.

And don't tell you that it wouldn't work because I saw that it works ...

In my case, the Samsung Galaxy S9 is a very good and fast smartphone with android 10. And there is no ned for me to change the device just to run GeoohGo. My with buyed a new smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy A41 and it works with SD card. And so the apps have to work with this situation without try and error principle.

We are just user and not programmer. In this case the programmer is in the case of support and has to find a solution to us.

Reply #59
The fact is, everything worked fine with GeoohGo before the current changes. The cards and themes all worked out wonderfully. This is currently no longer the case.

And don't tell you that it wouldn't work because I saw that it works ...

Geooh has made the transition to SAF as required by Google. The version you indicated was the pre-SAF one. That version also didn't allow display of theme options (your original request in this thread) so it needed to be updated for better theme support.

Mapsforge (which Geooh uses) does not support SAF so Geooh had to work around that. SD cards work in my tests. In a previous message I suggested things for you to try to determine why it doesn't  for you, but I didn't get any feedback.

Please let me provide a refund for you. Email support@geooh.com with the Google play store purchase number and I'll immediately return your money.