Skip to main content
Topic: Slow app when bad reception, even when data is saved offline (Read 113 times) previous topic - next topic

Slow app when bad reception, even when data is saved offline

Hi

I was in a place with bad cell reception and had prepared with offline maps and offline lists saved in Geooh Go with Full details.
But when looking at the different caches, description etc. it took a very long time to load, even though it was saved offline.
The worksround was to put the phone in airplane mode, then it worked very fast.

But it shouldn't be neccessary to put your phone i airplane mode when caching in an area with bad cell reception.
Somewhere I read that this app was focused on offline use.

Is there a setting i have missed in order to let the offline data be shown without trying to get it from geocaching,com?

Regards
Jacob

Re: Slow app when bad reception, even when data is saved offline

Reply #1
There is some data that cannot be saved... for instance, showing up votes (great/helpful story) can only be achieved via dynamic API calls... Groundspeak doesn't allow that to be downloaded/stored with cache. Looking at logs requires downloading user avatar images on-the-fly, same thing with getting image counts for the cache or viewing cache description with images. So regardless of offline, the app will need to grab items that are never stored offline. Geooh does try to look for a strong network signal before attempting costly network calls, but that depends on Android reporting a weak signal.

So, to help with this you can try performing the offline downloading of images for a list which may minimize network calls. Don't enable up votes. Try to work from a list of caches instead of opening cache screens or log/image lists to reduce getting images from the internet. Or turn off the API calls so nothing is retrieved from Groundspeak. And finally, go into airplane mode.

I do my best to be as offline friendly as possible, but with a VERY rich UI and many background features, there will often be more network retrievals than you see in other quicker apps... Geooh is pulling more load than them. You have options to be simple quick or feature strong.

Reply #2
Hi

I didn't get to reply to this one.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. i will try your suggestions next time I get in an area with bad cell reception.

the last resort of going in airplane mode is not really usable for me as I would still like to be able to send/recieve text messages, phone calls etc. Maybe an option to have Geooh Go work in offline mode, would be a possibility?

But I'll try the other suggestions and report back  :)

Reply #3
How about if the API is deactivated?
Would that help?

Reply #4
Yes, deactivating the API insures no requests go Groundspeak. You can also use Save for Later.

Also keep in mind, Geooh still does things separate from the API... getting county/elevation data for finds, getting cache owner avatar image, log images, etc. The app checks for network before attempting them.

Reply #5
Hi

I was again in an area with bad cell reception and I had prepared offline maps, offline lists and saved images.
Also I disabled the API.

As you write GO is looking for other data than just API and that was really clear to me during my stay.
GO was very sllow (due to the bad /slow reception).
Also the data there was expensive and the only solution was to put the phone in airpane mode.

But this solution has the clear drawback that you are completely offline and can't use your phine or recieve any texts.

I have a suggestion to have a switch in the app to set the app to be offline (without having to put your whole phone offline)
This would nake GO really "offline-compatible" and would be great for both bad cell reception AND expensive data plans.

Other than the slow reception GO was really great to use!!

/Picht

Reply #6
Geooh looks for a strong network connection for network activity on "outside" resources like images, reverse geocoding, etc... but that depends on Android reporting it properly. The next step would be to also check for API enabled. My guess is if you are turning off API then you really don't want Geooh to do ANY network access... like airplane mode just for the app.

Reply #7
My guess is if you are turning off API then you really don't want Geooh to do ANY network access... like airplane mode just for the app.

True, Making "airplane mode for Geooh" when disabling the API would be great!