Skip to main content
Topic: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches (Read 58 times) previous topic - next topic

v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Preparing for our Holiday on next Saturday. I've created a new offline list and want to download all caches around places we plan visit. Works for small places (around 10 caches), but when I choose slightly bigger place (e.g.: city center), updating of map took long and then fails with message:

Warning
Error occurred while getting geocaches.


Is it possible to find out what is wrong? It works correctly in previous versions. (Took some time, but caches were downloaded).


Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #1
Update: now it works. Maybe server issue?

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #2
I'll look for bug reports... those messages will send the underlying bug report to me. Nothing has arrived yet so you may need to open/close the app a couple of times to force it to send.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #3
OK. Will do it. It seems it sometime works and sometime not.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #4
Hi.
Any update on this? Did you got these reports? Could be this connected with Android 10? My wife has no such issue on their Sony phone with older Android. But for me it just updating and updating for several minutes and then mostly fails with error. Also it looks like it drains battery during this  :(


Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #5
Nothing specific, but I believe there are so many caches returned in the search that the phone's memory is being exhausted. That would explain why your wife's phone works, but not yours if the internal memory is different.

I've added code to stop loading after a search limit has been reached.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #6
Well. My phone has 3GB of RAM. And I had no such issue before. It also fails when I force close all apps an restart phone. Also in most cases there is no more than 100 caches In downloaded area. Do you think that e.g. 20 caches exhaust memory of my phone?

Could be caused by latest Android 10?

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #7
Not sure, but newer versions of Android will probably need more memory. 100 caches certainly would not be a problem unless the log count setting is higher than your wife's and pulling those down with images could cause an issue. See if there are settings differences so that I can see if a setting is causing an issue.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #8
So I've done more research and it seems that my Holliday list is probably corrupted. Today map with this list slow down and later on, when I added more caches (531 now), map stopped loading. List itself loads, but when I click to map icon, gui loads, but no map and no caches. And gui does not respond.
But older list with 998 caches loads on map correctly. Also newly created list with 30 caches loads on map without issue.

Should I send it to you? If yes, where I can find it?

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #9
You could try exporting the offline list as a GPX file... but that may not contain any errors if the internal database has a problem. You could export... delete the offline list to remove it from the database... and then import it back to see if the issue is gone.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #10
Hi. Sorry for delay. Holiday already finished and I had some thinks to do.
I've exported the list and try import several times, but import of 531 caches took ages and I was not able finish it yet :-(

 

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #11
I could test if I can get a copy of the GPX file you use to import.


Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #13
The reason it took ages was because of the Groundspeak API call limits. Apparently, some cache has lots of trackables and Geooh is trying to get image links for all of them, but then hits the API limit which Groundspeak requires the app to wait a predetermined time before allowing another API to get more TB images. See the screenshot attached... it's hard to see the limit notification due to how Android dims the screen for the progress. I'm sure you had something similar, but didn't see it.

I'll have to rework or remove the pre-loading of image links... at least for trackables... to see if that fixes things. Or maybe just for GPX files.

Not sure why you have a issue with the map. I stopped the GPX import when it hit the API, but was still able to see the caches on the map. If you could provide more information on what steps you take to get the empty map, I'll try to replicate.

Re: v11 Update caches: Error occurred while getting geocaches

Reply #14
A new 11.1.2 version is being released that should address the GPX download issue... I've removed the code that causes the excessive API calls. I've also updated code that should address the map loading issue for a large number of caches. Please let me know if 11.1.2 corrects all your remaining issues.